×

Notice

There was a problem rendering your image gallery. Please make sure that the folder you are using in the Simple Image Gallery plugin tags exists and contains valid image files. The plugin could not locate the folder: images/program-images/viosimi-anaptiksi-amazoniou

Sustainable development of the areas of Napo and Sucumbios of the Amazon

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Additional Info

Program Type Developmental program in Ecuador
Project Location The provinces of Napo and Sucumbios in the Amazon, Ecuador.
Target Group 4.000 Quichua Indians and 2.280 Sionasecoya Indians.
Duration 48 months (1996-2000)
Partners Fundacion Esquel - Ecuador.
Budget - Funding The overall project budget came up to the amount of 732.121 ECU, with a 75% funding from the European Commission D.G. Development. The overall budget corresponding to the activities of KESSA DIMITRA came up to the amount of 120.325 ECU, with a 75% funding (90.244 ECU) received from the European Commission and the remaining 25% (30.081 ECU) from the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Program state Finished program

The program aimed at the attainment of self-sufficiency and financial independence by the local population, through their training, involvement in eco-tourist activities and the utilizing of alternative resources to be found within the local communities.

These activities aimed not only to make them competitive with respect to other local tourist agencies, but also to allow the independent management of the project after the end of the working period. Apart from the development of eco-tourist schemes elaborated by the local communities, special emphasis was given to the protection of the Amazon forests from their ruthless industrial exploitation, through the engaging in alternative forms of occupation. Additionally, the natives received aid, which allowed them to improve the local wheat production.

{gallery}program-images/viosimi-anaptiksi-amazoniou{/gallery}